- 18/03/ 2020 – Canada announces financial help, through the COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, for Canadians and businesses facing hardship as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- 18/03/ 2020 – Canada implements a ban on foreign nationals from all countries, except the United States from entering Canada, Canada-U.S. border closes to all non-essential travel, and redirects international passenger flight arrivals to four airports in Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.
- 16/03/ 2020 – Canada advises travellers entering Canada to self-isolate for 14 days.
- 13/03/ 2020 – Canada advises Canadians to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.
- 11/03/ 2020 – the World Health Organization declares the global outbreak of COVID-19 a pandemic.
Distribution of confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19 in Canadian provinces by 25th March 2020.
Corona virus impacts on Canada’s immigration policies in past 10 days
Canada’s immigration strategy has undergone for many changes daily in last week as Canada seeks to contain proliferation of Corona virus.
On 18th March Canada has implemented a ban on foreign nationals from all countries except USA from entering in Canada from 18th March to 30th June 2020 however exceptions are allowed to certain permanent and temporary residents so that they can enter the country.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is still accepting express entry applications and permanent residency application and continue to hold the draws as usual – they had two draws in last week on 20th and 23rd March and invited nearly 4000 applicants to apply for permanent residence visa shows although COVID-19 measures slowing down Immigration services, Canada is still aiming to meet its immigration targets set for this year.
IRCC is still processing the permanent residence application as per the normal procedure and giving extra 90 days time to individuals to submit the complete application if they are finding difficulty in fulfilling the requirements and facing delay in obtaining documents due to Coronavirus-related disruptions.
IRCC is allowing below individuals to enter Canada by providing an exception however they are advised to monitor the federal government’s website before they book their return travel to Canada:
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents
- Immediate family of Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Permanent resident applicants who had been approved for Canada permanent residence prior to March 16 and who had not yet travelled to Canada
- Temporary foreign workers
- International students who held a valid study permit or had been approved for one as of March 18
- Transiting passengers
Click here for all Updates on Corona in Canada.
For more information regarding Immigration to Canada in general, Contact SmartMove2Canada at www.smartmove2canada.com. We are a niche law firm with a specialization in immigration law. To start your Canada Application process book an appointment for a FREE Consultation with our Expert Canada Immigration Consultant OR
Don’t miss a beat
Receive regular updates about your Canada Visa News, Guidelines, New Canada Visa Law and more.